Just like standard payment apps, you can pay people you know. You can even pay people even if they aren't using Mezu yet!
Here's how to pay someone you know:
- Tap Pay and choose “To A Contact.”
- Choose the person you want to pay from your contact list. If the person you want to pay isn’t listed in your contacts, enter their mobile number or email address.
- Enter the amount* you want to Pay and tap “Next.”
- Mezu will display the amount you entered and your contact’s name and mobile number. You can add a note to let the person know what you’re paying them for, but that’s optional.
- If you don’t want your contact information or other personal details shared with the person you’re paying, tap the toggle button next to “Pay Anonymously.”
- Once everything looks correct, tap “Confirm.” You’re all set.
If your contact is not a registered Mezu user:
- The transaction will be pending in your account until it is accepted or rejected, up to 7 days.
- Mezu will notify the person you paid that they have funds waiting for them on Mezu (either via email or SMS), and guide them through the steps of installing the Mezu app to access these funds.
- If you send a payment to someone via an email address, they must click "accept" and then they will be taken to the redemption page in their browser and prompted to add in their phone number to redeem their money. Once they download the app, they must use the same phone number to activate their account in order to receive the funds.
- After installing the app, they will be notified that funds have been sent to him/her through Mezu and they will be prompted to accept or decline the transaction.
- By accepting the transaction, their Mezu account balance will be increased by the transaction amount, and your account will be decreased by the same amount.
- If the transaction expires, then you will be notified that the transaction has expired.
- You can cancel the transaction while it is pending in the "Transactions" menu by selecting the transaction then clicking the "Cancel" button.
*If the amount selected to pay is above your Mezu account balance, a charge from the default payment method that you have linked to your Mezu account will be made for the full amount of the transaction.
If you experience difficulties while using this feature, here are some tips to help you:
- You may be trying to pay someone who is in a country not yet supported by Mezu. Currently, Mezu is available only in the U.S.
- You may be trying to pay to a VoIP telephone number. Unfortunately, Mezu does not support sending money to these numbers, and will return an error message. We advise you to use an alternative phone number or an email address.
- You may not have a payment method linked to your account. In this case, see here on how to add a card or bank account.
- You may not have sufficient balance on the payment methods you have linked to Mezu. In this case, top up your bank account or debit card, or add a new card or account with balance.
- You may be trying to pay an amount that is below the minimum allowed. You can check the minimum allowed amounts here.
- You may be trying to pay more than the maximum amount allowed. You can check the maximum allowed amounts here.
- You may be trying to pay more than is allowed at your level of customer identification. For details on this, and on how to increase your allowed level, see here.
- You may be trying to pay yourself! This feature is not supported by Mezu.